Got any questions about the 8 Plus? We’ve got the answers for you
An iPhone 8 Plus costs between R5000 - R8700 in South Africa.
From top to bottom, the 8 Plus has a height of158.4mm, a length of 78.1mm and a width of 7.5 mm. At the time of its release, the 8 Plus was the largest iPhone released, in terms of dimensions.
You can get the 8 Plus in black, silver, space grey and rose gold.
The iPhone 8 has a 4.7-inch retina display and single-lens camera, whereas the iPhone 8 Plus has a 5.5-inch retina display and dual-lens camera system. The iPhone 8 is also smaller in terms of dimensions and has only 2GB of RAM as opposed to the 8 Plus having 3GB of RAM. The 8 has a less powerful battery with 1,821 mAh while the 8 Plus has a larger 2,691 mAh.
The 8 and 8 Plus have a 50 percent deeper strengthening layer compared to previous models along with a new steel substructure and the “most durable glass in a smartphone ever”.
The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are water resistant.
The rating for the Plus is “IP68” which means the new iPhone 8 are fully protected from dust and can handle being under freshwater for up to 30 minutes at a depth of 1.5 metres. If your phone gets dropped in a puddle, a shallow pool, or wet from the rain, it will be just fine. Steam from your bathroom shower, however, is not included in this rating, so rather keep it away from steam
The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus has the A11 Bionic processor. The chip is faster and smarter than any other chip that came before it. The chip has a six-core CPU (central processing unit) which means that the 8 and 8 Plus are 25% faster than the iPhone 7 and 70% faster than the previous model.
You can get the iPhone 8 Plus with 64GB or 256GB of space. For a better picture on how much 256GB is, it equates to an average amount of 73,224 photos. For the 64GB model, that’s approximately 15,000 photos!
The phone comes with 3G of RAM.
It has a 12-megapixel dual camera at the back and a 7-megapixel selfie camera at the front. The dual camera means you get more range in your photos - something the iPhone 7 doesn’t have. While the 8 only has one lens - the wide-angle lens - the 8 Plus has two, giving you more camera for those weekend outings. Other features include 2x optical zoom, burst mode, timer mode, 4K video and more.
Yes, portrait mode is available on the iPhone 8 Plus. Portrait mode focuses on the subject of the photo and blurs the background, providing more depth. For photography enthusiasts, portrait mode makes use of the phone’s 56mm-equivalent "telephoto" lens.
Open your Camera app, then select ‘Portrait” on the right side. Your lighting options will appear on your screen such as Natural Light, Studio, Contour and Stage Light. After selecting your lighting, hold up your phone and focus on the person you’d like to photograph.
When taking a photo, there is a 2x zoom option on the screen. Taping this will give you 2X optical zoom. If you hold the 2x button, it will expand to give you further digital zoom options. In other words, anytime you use zoom up to 2x, it will automatically be optical zoom.
You can easily record a demonstration of something from your phone using the built-in screen recorder.
- Go to your Settings, then select Control Centre. Tap into ‘Customise Controls’ then add “Screen Recording” to the list
- Exit your settings and then head to your homescreen. Swipe up the Control Centre and select the little white circle in the square icon. This is the Screen Recording icon.
- The recorder will count down from 3 and then whatever actions you take on your iPhone will be recorded.
- Once you’re done, tap the red recording timer at the top of your screen to stop the recording. You can find your recording in your camera roll and edit it just like a standard video such as trimming the start and end of it. Or, you can edit it in iMovie which comes free with your iPhone.
We would recommend that you invest in a case or cover for your iPhone 8 Plus. A good cover can protect your phone from cracked screens, from drops, dents, dirt, scratches and help keep it looking like new for when you’d like to sell it.
The iPhone 8 Plus battery gives you 2,691 mAh, with fast-charging at 50% in 30 minutes. Regular use of your iPhone 8 Plus gives you about 12 hours battery life. If you don’t use the phone at all, it lasts about 21 hours. Music play gives you 60 hours of jam sessions and 13 hours of internet browsing.
It weighs 202 grams, which is slightly more than a can of tinned tomato and onion mix. Because of the introduction of the glass back and a new steel structure, the 8 Plus can often feel and look heavier than previous models.
Created and developed by Apple Inc, iOS is the operating system used on the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. iOS is a system with a user interface based on multi-touch gestures using tapping, swiping, pinching and reverse pinching which all have specific actions and meanings within the iOS system. It was first released in 2007 and is updated every year with more features, better performance and an overall greater experience for the user. To date, all iOS updates to iPhone and iPad users have been free, even those with older models.
You’ve just turned on your iPhone for the first time. The first step will then be to select your country or region. This is important because it will determine your time, date and language.
- Now connect your device to WiFi to continue, then insert your SIM card.
- Now you will set up your Face ID or your Touch ID, depending on which iOS system you’re on. For Face ID, raise your screen directly in front of your face so that your phone can capture your features. For Touch ID, choose the finger you’d like to use to unlock your screen. Then enter a 6-digit code as your two-factor authentication.
- If you had an iPhone beforehand and backed up your data to iCloud or iTunes, select either ‘Restore from iCloud Backup’ or ‘Restore from iTunes Backup’. If you are transferring content from an Android, select ‘Move from Android’ and follow the steps above.
- Sign in your create your Apple ID which is usually an email address and a password. If you already have an existing Apple ID from your previous iPhone, you’ll be asked to enter a verification code on that phone.
- You can then set up Siri, Screen Time and automatic updates now or select ‘Set Up in Settings Manually’
- Tap ‘Get started’ to start using your phone!
Yes, the iPhone 8 Plus supports wireless charging via any Qi-certified wireless charger, and also supports fast wireless charging, which can charge your phone from 0% to 50% in around 30 minutes. To use fast wireless charging, you'll need a compatible fast wireless charger like the Apple MagSafe Charger, and a power adapter that supports at least 20W or higher.
The best wireless charger for the iPhone 8 Plus is the Belkin Boost Up Wireless Charging Pad: This charger provides up to 7.5W of power and is compatible with the iPhone 8 Plus. It has a non-slip surface to keep your phone in place and comes with a wall adapter, we can also recommend the Anker PowerWave 7.5 Stand: This charger also provides up to 7.5W of power, has a stand design that allows you to use your phone while it charges. It has temperature control and surge protection to keep your phone safe.
There are many good card holder cases available for the iPhone 8 Plus. Here are some of the best ones: Smartish iPhone 8 Plus Wallet Case: This case has a durable construction and can hold up to three cards or cash. It has a slim design and comes in a variety of colors. Silk iPhone 8 Plus Wallet Case: This case is made of textured high-grip material and has a reinforced grip for added protection. It can hold up to three cards or cash and has a slim design. Vena vCommute iPhone 8 Plus Wallet Case: This case has a military-grade drop protection and can hold up to three cards or cash. It has a slim design and comes in a variety of colors. Spigen Slim Armor CS iPhone 8 Plus Case: This case has a dual-layer design with a shock-absorbing TPU interior and a hard polycarbonate exterior. It can hold up to two cards and has a slim design.
Yes, the iPhone 8 Plus is compatible with the magnetic card holder cases.